The Legal Bases for Collecting Data
The law on Data Protection details a number of reasons for which a company can collect and process your personal data.
With your consent we can collect and process your data, for example when you subscribe to receiving newsletters and emails from us. We will only ask for data which is necessary in connection with a specific service.
In some circumstances we need your data to fulfil our contractual obligations, for example, if you place an order on our website we need to collect your delivery address details to pass to the courier/Royal Mail.
In order to fulfil the need to be legally compliant, if the law requires us to, we can pass on details of people involved in fraudulent activity.
We can require your data to pursue legitimate interests in a manner reasonably expected to run our business and which does not impact your rights: for example we may use your purchase history to send you relevant offers or collect feedback.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The Reasons for Collecting Your Personal Data
We collect your personal data in the following circumstances:
• When you visit our website to purchase products from Black.co.uk as a guest online or by telephone
• When you use your account (if you have registered ) to buy products from Black.co.uk
• When you create an account.
• When you join the ‘In The Black’ loyalty programme
• When you enter competitions or prize draws
• When you contact us with queries by email or on a contact form.
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information.”
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We want to give our customers the best possible experience and the information you provide us with helps us to offer you promotions and products most likely to be of interest. The data privacy law allows this as a ‘legitimate interest’ in understanding our customers. The following details how we use your personal data and why.
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfill any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
Communicate with you;
Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store--you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site--you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by:
FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
GOOGLE - https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
BING - https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
We work with/have contracts with the following companies for the purposes listed above
|Loyalty Lion||Rewards Program|
|Google Analytics||Visitor Tracking/Analytics|
|American Express||Payment Processing|
In order to be able to offer you Klarna’s payment options, we will pass to Klarna certain aspects of your personal information, such as contact and order details, in order for Klarna to assess whether you qualify for their payment options and to tailor the payment options for you.
DO NOT TRACK
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfill contracts we might have with you (for example if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
The following details further ways we use your personal data and why
• To answer any queries, refund requests and complaints.
• With your consent we will use your data and transaction details to inform you of special offers and discounts and competitions etc. You are free to opt out of hearing from us at any time.
• To manage any competitions or prize draws, which you have given consent to entering.
• To send you survey and feedback requests to improve our service. You are free to opt out of receiving these at any time.
When you place an order through the Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail using the details provided below:
Data Protection Officer at Black.co.uk PO Box 655 East Grinstead RH19 4LN
- To enable you to process an order online. These cookies enable you to add products to your shopping basket and to complete your purchase.
- To enable us to meet our obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from a site operated by a third party. These companies do not collect any personal data from which they could identify customers.
- To enable us to improve our service by being able to identify, for example, the most popular products. This is general information which is anonymous and does not identify individual customers or site visitors.
By using and browsing our website you consent to cookies being used in accordance with our policy. If you do not consent you can disable cookies in your web browser, in which case you would be unable to shop with us.
When you post communications to the website via our blog, website comments fields, features comments, testimonials and product reviews, you automatically grant Black Ltd a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable non-exclusive licence to use, reproduce, modify, publish, edit, translate, distribute, perform and display such communication(s) alone, or as part of other works in any form, media, or technology whether now known of hereafter developed and to sublicense such rights to anyone.
Anything you transmit or post may be used by Black Ltd for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast and posting, or developing, manufacturing and marketing products using such information.