When used in a more conservative and subtle fashion a quality animal print can really make an outfit. They are ideal for the autumnal and spring months as they display the perfect colour palette of chocolate browns, creams and golden tones. While the AW16 collections at Paris Fashion Week gave us a glimpse of a far more daring and courageous take on animal prints, the high street has also followed suit but with a far mo
re wearable approach.
Dries Van Noten, Kenzo, Calvin Klein, Dior and Louis Vuitton were among those displaying out-and-out animal prints in all their glory. There is no denying that on the catwalk these bold prints held a certain majesty. However, here are some tips for a more understated take on the classic animal print:
- Opt for just one accessory in an animal print, rather than head-to-toe print or large pieces. Alternatively, try an animal print trim on a larger item.
- Keep the rest of your outfit clean, simply and unfussy.
- Opt for a colour palette in tawny browns, shades of gold and creams to work with the animal print.
- As badly worn animal prints have a reputation for looking gaudy, be sure to team them with classy and sophisticated accessories. Opt for timeless and classic rather than anything that could be misinterpreted as trashy.
- If in any doubt wear your animal print with an all black outfit for a sophisticated edge.
- If you're new to animal prints then start small, with a single accessory and let that item be the focal point of your outfit.
An animal print scarf is the ideal way to add a little interest to a classic autumnal day outfit. Add a little pattern and texture to your jeans, boots and jumper with our Fur Trimmed Leopard Print Cashmere Ring Shawl which looks divine with a cashmere jumper in a caramel shade, soft blue skinny jeans and chocolate brown boots. This look is ideal for those autumn afternoons when you're not quite ready for a coat but welcome a little more coverage than just a jumper.
Teamed with a Cape
If you are looking for a go-to coat that you can throw over every outfit and will last you through the winter, then your best bet is to invest in a sumptuous cashmere cape. Opt for something in a warm, light colour palette such as camel, cream or caramel as it will match everything. To add extra style and sophistication to the look, wear a pair of animal print gloves. The perfect choice would be our Python Print Leather Gloves, with their ivory, grey and taupe design they match every ensemble. Wear with a light cashmere cape such as our Cream and Camel Double-Sided Cape in Cashmere and Silk.
Sophisticated Evening Wear
An animal print scarf is a lovely way to add a unique yet subtle twist to the classic black dress. Our Leopard Print Cashmere Ring Shawl looks exquisite when worn with an elegant long sleeved black dress in this season's hottest fabric, velvet. Draw the eyes to the scarf by finishing the look with sheer black stockings, classic black stilettos and a simple black clutch bag. For additional interest add a simple but alluring pair of earrings such as our Bella Sterling Silver Hoop Earrings and finish the look off with an elegant up-do.
Animal print doesn't have to be a theatrical and dramatic style that only works on the catwalk. It can exude class and sophistication when it is worn with a little subtlety and attention to detail. So why not try adding a little touch of animal to your autumnal wardrobe? Animal prints are highly wearable, versatile and timeless. Before you know it you'll be incorporating them into all sorts of outfits.